Founded in 1959, the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association is the oldest Civil War Battlefield Preservation organization in the nation.
Today, the GBPA continues its mission to preserve our American heritage through land preservation & advocacy, living history programs, lectures, seminars, site tours, and support of Scouting.
The GBPA has purchased and donated several hundred acres of land to the Gettysburg National Military Park.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower was an early member and supporter.
Since 1999, the GBPA has owned, restored and operated the historic 146-acre Daniel Lady Farm on the Hanover Road.
The Daniel Lady Farm offers tours, camping for reenactors and scouts, living history demonstrations and educational workshops on a site that played an important role in the battle for Culp's Hill and the Confederate left flank.
Briefly occupied by Union forces late in the afternoon of July 1, 1863, Confederate forces of Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson’s Division arrived and encamped on the property in the evening. Beginning the next day, the farm served as a Confederate staging area for the remainder of the battle. The old "Stonewall Brigade" formed up just east of the Lady farmhouse for launch of the assault on Culp's Hill.
The barn and house were converted into a Confederate field hospital and several burials were recorded on the property.
After the battle, the wounded left behind in Gettysburg’s temporary hospitals under civilian care were moved to the Union general hospital “Camp Letterman” just over the hill behind the farm.
The house and barn survived the battle, much of the Lady family furniture did not. Floors in the house still exhibit bloodstains from the wounded and dying.
In the barn are initials carved by Confederate soldiers, and a fragment of Union cannon ball remains lodged in one of its beams.
GBPA was a prime supporter of the creation of the Gettysburg Pennsylvania Monuments Fund. The fund was enacted by the state in 2014 to preserve battlefield monuments and markers commemorating the actions of Pennsylvania units and individuals during the Battle of Gettysburg.
Boy Scouts of America Venture Crew 1861, which accurately portrays a Civil War fife and drum corps, is proudly sponsored by the GBPA.
The GBPA includes these subsidiary organizations working to carry out
its preservation and education missions:
GBPA Storefront & Downtown HQ
33 York Street
PA Gettysburg Monuments Project
funding maintenance on battlefield monuments honoring PA Regiments
BSA Venture Crew 1861 Fife & Drum Corps
portraying musicians of the 1st Penna Reserves and the Confederate 2nd Corps
Daniel Lady Farm & American Living History Center
Tours, Living History, Scouting service projects, Scout and reenactor camping,
lectures & workshops
986 Hanover Road (Rt. 116), Gettysburg